Q:What is a Health & Wellness Coach?
A: A Health & Wellness Coach is a trained professional who uses an integrative approach to both diet and lifestyle changes to improve their clients’ health. Working as a guide toward an overall healthier life, they will look at their clients’ nutrition patterns, relationships, physical fitness, spirituality, and more.
Health & Wellness coaches will generally meet with clients and conduct an initial interview, assess their current health, as well as observe any conditions that may present. During client-coaching relationship, a Health & Wellness Coach will:
- Coach and educate clients about how to achieve and sustain good health such as a daily routine involving whole, nutritious foods, exercise, stress management, and adequate sleep.
- Empower clients to achieve optimal health, for the present and the future, through addressing any imbalances caused by improper nutrition, lifestyle stressors, poor quality sleep, insufficient water, lack of exercise, and relaxation.
- Educate clients to evaluate their lifestyle choices and to identify and change any potential causes of ill health.
- Create healthy environments, conduct educational activities and demonstrations, and support clients in reaching their personal wellness objectives.
- Recognize when it is necessary to refer a client to his or her primary care physician for treatment and/or diagnosis.
Q. What does a health coach do?
A. A health coach can spend the time to help someone figure out what their personal health and wellness issues are, how they intersect and affect them holistically and help them develop strategies to overcome them, whether it’s that they want to lose weight, reduce stress, sleep better or lower the risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.I know a lot about nutrition, health, mindfulness and wellness, and I want to share that in a more direct way with people. That’s what attracted me to health coaching—it seemed like a natural evolution for me.
Q. Why might people be looking for a health coach?
A. Most people know what they should be doing to improve their health and prevent various diseases—the best diet plan for them as individuals, the right type of exercise—but they may not actually be doing these things! They don’t have the know-how; they’re confused by all the conflicting information out there and the competing diets, as well as all the studies being reported. A health coach can support them by homing in on the health and diet information that’s relevant to them as individuals. They can provide step-by-step tools to create permanent changes for their health and well-being.
Q. What is your personal approach to health coaching?
A. My take on health coaching involves creativity, personalization, and fun because that’s a big interest of mine. I am a Licensed Practical Nurse by trade and I love to incorporate your health issues and concerns with you interests. As a result, I incorporate fun creative interactive exercises into my coaching program. I help people access their creativity to reduce stress, lose weight, improve their health and increase their enjoyment of life.